Saturday, June 10, 2017

The Oregon Coast Aquarium-June 8th

 Since I spent most of my 10th birthday in the car, my parents and I tried to do more fun things today.  After having breakfast at the Sylvia Beach Hotel with a spectacular view of Nye Beach, we packed up the car in the rain and headed toward the Oregon Coast Aquarium.  We got there 12 minutes before it opened and stood under the gift shop porch while  being eaten by mosquitoes.
 The aquarium had really interesting exhibits and I really enjoyed looking at the animals.
 This is a green moray eel, he was pretty big.
 They had some fish tanks that you could climb into.
 They also had a petting zoo with starfish and anemones.  Dad and I like to pet creatures.
Me with a school of silvery fish.  After the aquarium we drove north of Newport to the Yaquina Head Lighthouse, the tallest lighthouse on the Oregon Coast.  They had a really awesome interpretive center.  Unfortunately, the next lighthouse tour was in an hour and a half, and we didn't have that much time to wait.  We did get to drive to the lighthouse and walk around. 
 Dad and I loved looking at all the nesting birds on the rocks.  The lighthouse was impressive.  We actually saw this lighthouse in action the night before from the Sylvia Beach Hotel.  It's special signal is 14 seconds off, 2 seconds on, 2 seconds off, 2 seconds on.


 A lot of different birds nested out here.  I have to write an animal report when I go back to school.  This might be a good choice.
Our next stop was Cannon Beach.  It is a very upscale, planned  seaside town.  All the buildings have cedar shakes on the sides.  This is Dad and I with the Tillamook Lighthouse on a rock in the distance.
Haystack Rock is also on this beach.  After this we drove to Long Beach Washington.  Unfortunately, we were short on time and missed a lot of the Lewis and Clark stuff.