Saturday, June 10, 2017

Southern Oregon Coast & the Sylvia Beach Hotel-June 7

 Today is my 10th Birthday.  My parents and I packed up at the Chateau and headed for the Oregon Coast.  We took Hwy 199 which dipped into California before we headed north again.  Once on the road we realized than we had more ground to cover than we thought, so it was a big car day.  We did stop at Port Orford where they had Battle Rock.  Dad and I decided to climb it while Mom got and espresso next to the park.

  

 That's me next to the tree on the rock.  We found three graves up here. The battle was between white settlers and the native Americans back in 1850.

 It was a short steep climb to get up here.
 North of Port Orford is the Cape Blanco Lighthouse.  It was wild and windy up here.  From the park volunteers, we learned a lot about the lives of the people that maintained these lighthouses back in the late 1800's.  we learned that each lighthouse has it's own signals and that striped light houses are only on the east coast.
 We did get inside Cape Blanco and got to go up to the light.


 The lense was made in Paris and was extremely complicated.  On our way out of the state park, we stopped at this historic Hughes farm house a couple miles down the road.  It was the light house keepers nearest neighbors.

This amazing house has ground squirrels, they were really cute.
After this, it was back in the car for a couple hours.  We needed to get to Newport by 7 o'clock.  That's when the Sylvia Beach Hotel served dinner.
 We made it with 6 minutes to spare.  The Sylvia Beach Hotel is a literary themed hotel, with each room being devoted to a different author throughout the ages.  We had the Ken Kesey Room.  He wrote:  The One Who Flew Over the Coocoo's Nest.  Dinners are served at one time and guest have to sit together at several big tables.  I was hungry and the food wasn't coming fast enough.
 Mom was happy to have a beer after all the driving.
 After dinner, we explored the rooms that were not rented out that night. I liked the Dr. Suess Room.
The toilet had a fake fish tank as it's back! 
The J.K. Rowling Room was open and the theme was Gryffindor-I like my room better which has the same theme.
Of course, the Sylvia has a library on the third floor where people can sit and read or just look at the beach.  Dad andI were going to play a game up here, but I moved a small table with a marble top.  The marble top came crashing on my foot.  It really hurt. but overall, I was ok.  
 
 
 My parents promised that we would do something more fun tomorrow.