Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Vesterheim Museum

My mom and Grandma Judy drove me to NE Iowa (Decorah) today so that mom could go visit the Vesterheim Museum-The national Norwegian American Museum and heritage center.  I was really good and did not ruin her day.
 That's me by a fjord!
This was painted on a wall of an old cabin from the 1790's!
There was a lot of rosemaling-or painted furniture.

This is a small ship that some Norwegian immigrants sailed on to America.
Another old cabin.  Mom was amazed at how wide the planks of wood were.
 Woodcarving!
Rosemaling!

 Paintings of old Norway!
Mom was sad that she was going to miss this!
A small house from Norway.  We ate lunch in downtown Decorah and walked around.  It was hot and not terribly interesting.  We did find this sign though:

It was an hour and 20 minutes back to Rochester.  We did get to drive past several Amish carriages and farms.  Here's hoping that tomorrow will me a much more interesting day.