Sunday, May 17, 2015

Competition Day 2015-Goju Karate

Every year, sometime in mid-May, competition day happens at the dojo.  This is my 3rd year of competing.  The day starts at 8:00 am and goes to 6:00 pm.  This year, I came at noon, because most of the events that I was interested in happen in the afternoon.  Some of my friends spent all TEN hours at the dojo, I'm not there yet.  I started out with wrestling, and unfortunately, got pinned down by my first two opponents, who were 2 + years older than me and bigger kids...
 Here I am getting pinned by Elliot.
 Now I am fighting Sean (9 or 10 years), I made it harder for him, but he still got me pinned.
 Now I am fighting Olivia.  She always grabs my helmet to pull over my eyes.  That always bugs me.
 Olivia is 8 and a little bigger that myself, but more of a fair fight.  
 Fighting Olivia was close, but she won.
 Dad came right at the end of wrestling to cheer me up.
 Sensei pulled me in for balance kicking.  I didn't medal, but I did well.
 Next  was team kata. I did it with Andy & Elliot.  We were named the "Del Tacos".

 We got gold!
 Next was individual katas.  I competed with the other kids in the black belt club.
 I did my kata....

 and got the silver medal!
 The last competition of the day was Kumite or point sparring.  I fought against David and won.  I then fought against Olivia and lost.  I got silver in this too.  We left the dojo at 6:15.  It was a long day, but I felt happy with my accomplishments.