Sunday, April 19, 2015

Over the Mountains-Day 3

 Thursday morning we woke up and drove went to the Wild Horse Wind Farm outside Ellensburg. Wild Horse is owned by Puget Sound Energy.
 The visitercenter was high on top of a ridge of which you could see Mt. Rainier, Mt. Adams, and Mt. Hood.
I'm not sure why it's called wild horse because it has tons of cows.
 Here's my class and some of their Mom's.
This is me standing at the base of one of the windmill blades.
Afterwards, our tour guide, Caleb, took us into one of the windmills.  This one to be more precise.
The interior at the base was a 16' room with a really tall ladder, secured by magnets.  We could not see tot he top because of the landings.  These windmills are taller than the Statue of Liberty.
After the wind farm, the class drove out to the Ginko State Park which has a petrified Forest.
I am standing on a petrified log.  Teacher Andrea got the interpretive center open for us.  We were able to get move information on how the trees were petrified and how the site was discovered in the 1930's and turned into a State Park.
We were right next to the Columbia River.

We also saw some ancient native American petroglyphs.  It was 1 o'clock in the afternoon and I was done.  I asked Mom if we could drive home.  We made it back to our house at 4:30 pm.  I really enjoyed this 3 day field trip, but I was happy to be home.