Sunday, September 11, 2011

Arts-a-glow. The lantern festival in Burien.

In July, my parents took me to the WaterLand Parade in downtown Des Moines.  I loved it! (Unfortunately Mom forgot the camera.)  My father hates crowds, but is willing to go if he can get a cocktail.  Tonight was no different.  Mom wanted to go and see the lanterns.  First stop was a restaurant, the Tin Room, in Old Burien.  I wanted to sit outside.  I had some ice with dinner and Dad had two "Pain Killers". 
The festival took place in the well forested park next to the Burien Comminty Center.  When we got there, we saw people blowing up clear helium balloons with lights inside them and then sending them up into the fir trees.
You can barely see the balloons, but when the sun set, they looked magical up in the trees.
All the food at the festival was free-apples, bread with jam, and tea.  The apples were great.
There were lots of lanterns, lights, & glow sticks.  A parade was going to start soon after sun down. 
This was a giant light up owl.
This is one of a dozen lanterns hung in the fir trees.
I finally made a lantern.  It took me two hours to get interested in doing so.
I put my glow stick in it.  It was pleasant.  Unfortunately, right after sunset, Dad and I were tired.  We went home missing the parade and the performance afterwards (dancing and an opera singer).  Mom plans on going again next year.